Friday, June 17, 2011

Consider it pure joy when....

This past two weeks have been a series of sad events one after the other. Aside from my Mama Red passing away, another grandfather (the 1st cousin of my maternal lolo), who we were also quite close to, died of a heart attack while enroute to the US from Hong Kong. They could not revive him onboard the aircraft and my lola had to endure the tragedy alone for six hours while waiting for the plane to land in LA. :( The day before yesterday, I also found out that the three month old baby (and their first one at that) of a former schoolmate also passed away a few days ago due to complications and possible infections from Hirschprung disease. :( As a fellow mother, I was extremely saddened by this news, as I talked to this friend of mine just a few weeks ago and have been praying for her baby boy. She must be terribly devastated and heartbroken.

I stopped to think then about all these heartbreaking events, and asked the Lord, why all the sadness? Why the grief? Mama Red was 92 when she died and lived a full life. But my other lolo was only in his mid-70s. A man full of life and adventure, who loved the outdoors; and just this April, celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary with all his family and friends. And what about the baby? Here was a couple who had been trying forever to have a child, and when they finally had one, the Lord took him home in a fleeting three months. Sigh..

And then the Lord pointed me to James 1:2-3 which says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance."The Bible doesn't say if you face trials, it says when. And we are to consider them pure joy. Sigh. Easy to read, but so so difficult to apply. Joy is certainly beyond emotions and circumstances; it is based on knowing who Jesus is and the hope that we have in Him. 


I learned in a Bible study once that there are no accidents in the life of faith. God knows ALL of the things that happen in our lives. Nothing happens that doesn't get filtered through His loving hands. I don't understand why all of these have to happen, but I know that the Lord is indeed sovereign and in control. And we can take comfort in the truth that He will never, ever leave us nor forsake us no matter how truly devastating or difficult.

2 Cor. 4:17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.


Jer. 31:13b I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment